Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Six Weeks of Separation

I was thinking about it yesterday, this is the 6th week at my new job, six weeks of separation between myself and unemployment :) Loving it!

I sent all the required paperwork: copy of my diploma, and copies of my receipts, that prove I spent all the money that was given to me for my last year of school. I am now, fully, out from under the eyes and hands of the Ministry of Universities Colleges and Training. My file is officially reconciled and closed. Great feeling to be done jumping through their hoops.

Now back to my previous comments about being employed, it's hard to believe that I am in my 6th week with Printer's Paradise already. I finally feel like I'm working and not just on a placement or something. I had my second paycheque last Friday and I was able to pay all the bills on my desk, in total, for the first time in over 3 months. Usually they just sit there until I can pay them... yes I'd miss some of the due dates but they still got paid all the same.

I have had a hand in quite a few projects here already: 4 vehicle wraps, approximately 20 signs, and 1 flyer for various clients. For ourselves: 1 mailer, 2 flyers, and 1 brochure so far. I guess that's a pretty busy 6 weeks. All of this time, of course, has it's ups and downs, some days are really busy and other's not so much. Much of the time I am fielding questions by clients via phone or email, which is part of why I am here, to interact with our clients and meet their needs.

On another note, I have my first "official" meeting tonight with a couple members from the committee that I am doing some freelance for. I'm a little bit nervous but very excited to get going on it. It's funny that these things start out with conversations that lead you to believe there is a big rush, and yet it can take so long to get them going. It's been over 2 months now since I first started talks with a member of this committee about their needs, over a month and a half since I submitted my estimate, and another 2.5 weeks since I found out I was selected to work on this project (which came 2 weeks after I was selected). So, needless to say, there doesn't seem to be a rush on it at all, unless of course this process is fast compared to what other designers have experienced? After tonights meeting though, I'm sure that I will have a fairly quick turnaround on some of the creatives that they have requested in the media package. This is definitely going to be fun :)

Well that's it, for now, I leave you with another amazing post from a great blog I follow by Fabian Barral, http://www.graphic-exchange.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment